Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Third Journey to 26.2 Miles

It's no secret that I haven't been blogging as much during this training cycle. There isn't a particular reason. I'm not any less excited about running a marathon and sharing my training progress than I have been for my other races. I enjoy writing about my running because it keeps me accountable to my training; it also helps me keep a running log of my progress so that I can look back down the road and put everything in perspective.

Case in point:  I would be lying to you if I said that I wasn't disappointed that I did not run the Rock 'n' Roll half-marathon in under two hours.  (I may have accepted it, but I really thought that I had it in me to reach my goal.) It also didn't help that my time was only slightly faster that my time at the 2011 Baltimore Running Festival.  But, I went back to my recap of the 2010 National Half and saw how much I've improved in a year:

In 2011, I ran the National Half in 2:09:33.  In 2012, I ran the same course for the RnR USA Half in 2:04:29.  I might not be making huge gains from race to race, but it's affirming to see my progress over a longer period of time.

Next Sunday, I'll be running the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler for the second year in a row.  (The lottery has been favorable.)  I want to PR, and I hope that I can run the race in 1:30 or faster.  

After that race, it'll be crunch time for the Cox Sports Marathon in Providence.  I've been anxious about the training for this race and will be until I drag myself across the finish line in May.  Because of my aggressive race schedule at the start of the year (and other excuses I can make for myself), I really haven't been putting in the longer runs (18-22 miles) and won't until after the 10-Miler.  I'll take them slowly, for sure, but I felt so confident going into Philly because I had done many longer runs.  

My goal for this final week of March and April is to train in earnest.  No skipping runs because I don't feel like it.  No cutting speed workouts short because I don't feel like doing another interval.  No whining. No complaining. No making excuses.  

Just running.

Cox Marathon Crunch - Week 1
Monday - X-Training and Strength
Tuesday - 3 miles (easy)
Wednesday - 45 minute speed workout
Thursday - 3 miles (easy)
Friday: Stretching/Yoga
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run

No comments:

Post a Comment