Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love the Run You're With 5K - Round-Up/Weekly Round-Up (6)

Alright. So:

I made a slight adjustment to this week's training plan once the little voice inside of me – let’s call her Reason -- figured out that it would be a terrible idea to run 8 miles on the day before a race that I planned to treat as an opportunity to set a new PR.  Instead, I took the elliptical for what turned out to be a very productive workout.

I woke up at about 7:00 this morning to get ready, fuel, and make my way over to Pentagon City for Pacers' Love the Run You’re With 5K.  Previous experiences with public transportation on race day have taught me well, but I definitely overestimated how long it would take me to get Pentagon Row on a Sunday morning.  Other than it being a little colder than I had hoped, it wasn’t a terrible thing to have more than enough time to adequately warm-up, stretch, and mentally prepare for the race – which mostly involved rocking out to Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" and Destiny’s Child’s “Independent Women” in honor of competing in the “Stupid Cupid” (read: single) category.

I knew going into the race that there would be a bit of a climb about a tenth of a mile after the starting line. The course flattened out fairly quickly, and I was in enough of a groove to keep my pace steady for most of the race.  I ran into a little bit of trouble during the last mile when I started to feel my left calf cramping. (You would think that all of the stretching would have prevented that, right?)  I took a 30-second walk before I decided that it was time to push through the pain and finish strong.

Place: 585/1694
Division: 140/465 (females in the SC category)
Gun Time: 28.18.3
Net Time: 27.48.2 (Previous PR: 31.14)
Pace: 8:57

Mission accomplished and onto Week 7:

Monday: Strength and X-Training
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: Tempo Run 40 minutes
Thursday: 3 miles/strength
Friday: Off
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: 4 miles (at race pace)

Happy Valentine’s Day Singles Awareness Day Anna Howard Shaw Day, folks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment