Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Great CSA Adventure: Jerusalem Artichokes (Week 2)

I finished out my first week of my CSA with a pizza (topped with caramelized onions, tomatoes, and watercress) and beet chips.

Week 2's basket included celery roots, parsnips, purple carrots, spinach, more onions, and this:


When I pulled this out of my basket, I thought it was a different variety of ginger root.  They're actually Jerusalem artichokes.  (It's a little bit of a misnomer -- they're actually a New World vegetable that's the tubular part of a type of sunflower.)

I wasn't sure what to do with the Jerusalem artichokes at first, but, thanks to the magic of the internet, I opted to very simply roast them with cauliflower and brussel sprouts.  And, it was delicious.  Next up -- figuring out what I'm going to do with celery root and purple carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment