Sunday, January 16, 2011

Going for Speed: Weekly Round-Up (2)

I can’t quite put my finger on why elements of my life felt out of sync this week. To be completely fair, I have very little to actually complain about. Still, I sometimes find myself with this feeling that something isn’t quite right, and I need to make changes – any changes – to my daily routine.

Thinking about this within the context of running, I learned that it’s important to add variety to training – if only to change the time at which you work out, the type of workout, or with whom you exercise. On Tuesday, for example, I decided to go to a work happy hour (and had a great time socializing) and was still able to get in a really great workout at the gym. On Wednesday, I ran with two of my coworkers, which was incredibly fun and helped me get to know them a bit more outside of the office.

So, new rule: Spice up your life (and your routine)!

Week 3 Workout Plan:

Monday: Cardio
Tuesday: 3 miles/Strength Training
Wednesday: Tempo Run (35 minutes)
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Off
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 3 miles/Strength Training

Oh, and I almost forgot. I found a February race: Love the Run You’re With – 5K!

The great thing about running this race -- other than it being the day before Valentine’s Day and the color-coded t-shirts identifying racers as being in one of three relationship categories -- is that I will hopefully be able to see if all of the speed work completed up until the race is working. The event’s website boasts a great post-party – complete with karaoke. Sounds like a smashing good time to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment