Friday, January 7, 2011

TGI Carb Night: Recipe - Chicken Tenderloins with Spiced Tomato Sauce


Protein is one nutrient that I’m rarely sure if I’m consuming enough during training. And, now that my Meatless Mondays have become Meatless Most of the Week, finding alternate sources of protein has become very important. (Thankfully, Fage yogurt has 15 grams of protein per serving.)

But, in the spirit of getting more protein into my belly, I decided to cook a meat-based dish and prepared a spiced tomato sauce with chicken tenders (served with rotini). This recipe comes from Cooking Light, but I omitted from and added to the recipe with delicious results.
 



You’ll need:

olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried coriander
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into one-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup white wine
¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
¼ cup freshly chopped basil
1 box of pasta – the original recipe calls for penne, but there's slight rotini surplus in my kitchen so I used that instead.

Notes on the spices: The recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon of ground fennel seed. I omitted this and also added a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.

1. Combine spices in a bowl and rub over chicken. (I missed this step – damn cookbook layout – and added the spices to the sauce instead.)
2. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for four minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Cook until soft (about 30 seconds) and add wine and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer for 15 minutes. Return chicken to the pan and cook an additional five minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to taste. Drain and toss pasta with chicken mixture in a large bowl. Serve topped with cheese and basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment