Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fall Four: Weekly Round-Up (8)

In training, you're bound to have one or more weeks that don't go exactly as planned. It looks like I've hit my first (and, hopefully, last) of those. Congratulations, Week 8!

Recap of this week:

I was in desperate need of a run on Monday and decided to go out and really push myself. The run was great! I ran through the National Zoo and up one hell of a hill before looping back to my apartment. After my shower, I started to feel a little weird – the way that I feel before I come down with a cold. I woke up feeling fine on Tuesday and didn’t really think that I might be sick until I hit the treadmill for a quick warm-up before strength training. About 10 minutes in, running started to feel more challenging than it should have. I didn't think anything of it and kept working through it.

Wednesday was the absolute worst. I was congested and pretty sure that I was going to cough up a lung. To be safe, I took a day off from running and went to bed early. Thursday was the same, and I started to feel a little antsy about not working out. Maybe I would try for a Friday morning run before work? That, of course, requires improvement on Friday. I took the day off in hopes that I would be able to run on Saturday.

I thought I felt better when I woke up on Saturday. I met Stef and we started our run through the zoo. Once we hit our first uphill stretch, my breathing was completely off and I started to feel winded. (This was less than two miles in.) Things started to feel okay, but I couldn’t have imagined going on for 17 more miles. Two miles in, we turned around and headed back to my apartment. I felt terrible about having to cut my run short. But, Stef reminded me that it was okay to miss a run to give my body some time to rest. After all, the marathon is still three months away, and we have plenty of time to run 18 miles (and farther).

After a very slothful Saturday, I hit the gym this morning. I started on the elliptical, which was fine, and did some lifting. I can tell that I'm not 100% better, but it felt good to do something other than sit on the couch.

Fourteen days to go until Virginia Beach! I probably won’t try to run again until Tuesday, and even then I’m going to take it easy. Here’s Week 9:

Monday: X-Train and Strength Training
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 6 miles
Thursday: Tempo Run – 60 minutes
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 8 Miles
Sunday: X-Train and Strength Training

No comments:

Post a Comment