Sunday, March 13, 2011

St. Patrick's Day 8K Round-Up / Weekly Round-Up (10)

Good friends, delicious food, gorgeous weather, and two fantastic runs made this weekend absolutely wonderful.

This morning's wake-up call was 6:45 AM, but cruisin' in dreamy-dream land quickly derailed my plans by 15 minutes. Still, I had plenty time to get dressed, have my usual pre-run bagel with peanut butter and green tea, and metro down to meet everyone before the race started. (Everyone being Jenny, Geoff, and two of his good friends that I met at a delicious pre-race dinner on Saturday.)

There were more than 6,000 runners in the starting area corralled into pace groups. Jenny and I stuck ourselves toward the end of the nine minute group, while the others went ahead to the seven to eight minute group.

I ran the first mile at an 8:52 pace, which is a few seconds faster than I intended. I'll chalk it up to being excited: it was a gorgeous day, there were thousands of runners dressed in green, and Journey was playing. I slowed down for miles two, three, and four, and picked back up to an 8:47 for the last mile.

Net time: 45:51
5K Split: 28:22 (PR: 27:48)
Average pace: 9:08

I felt good at 8:47 and 8:52, but I need to learn to pace myself. During Saturday's long run, I ran my fastest during the first four miles and slowed down significantly for the last four. This week and next, I'm going to do a bit of work practicing starting slow and working my way up to my race pace. I also need to do a better job of getting through my strength training workouts; I can't say that those have gone well for the past two weeks.

Week 11:

Monday: Cycling and Strength Training
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles/Strength
Thursday: Tempo - 35 minutes
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 3 miles at pace

With the sun setting later, I'm looking forward to being able to run outside again after work a few nights this week.

Thirteen days to go until the half!

No comments:

Post a Comment