Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Running Round-Up

On January 1, 2012, I set three goals for the year:
  • Run 1,200 miles
  • Run a sub-2:00 half-marathon 
  • Run a sub-4:30 marathon
Things didn't go exactly as expectedBy year's end, I logged 950 miles.  My attempt at a sub-2:00 half marathon started well but was crushed when I hit the finish line at the Rock 'n' Roll USA Half in 2:04:31, just barely a PR.  I ran two marathons this year, but Providence didn't go as well as I'd hoped and, although I ran a consistent race at the Marine Corps Marathon, it took me almost 20 more minutes to finish a marathon as it had in 2011When it came to shorter races, PRs were also hard to come byCompared to the progress that I made between the 2010 Baltimore Marathon and the 2011 Philadelphia Marathon, 2012 was the year of the running slump.

When it comes down to it, I don't think that I pushed myself nearly enoughIf I had put in the extra work, run on the days that "I didn't feel like it," pushed myself during speed workouts, and gave it my all on race day, I could have met my race goals.  I could have met my mileage goals. 

Failure can be very inspiring, though.  I didn't reach my goals last year, and it only makes me want to push myself harder to reach them this year.

So, again, my running goals for this year are to:
  • Run 1,200 miles
  • Run a sub-2:00 half-marathon 
  • Run a sub-4:30 marathon
It's hard to believe that 2012 is overIt was a good year, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make 2013 even better.

Happy new year, folks!   

No comments:

Post a Comment